A battle with mental health doesn’t have to be a solo fight. Those living with a mental health condition can find community and healing through support groups. There are many opportunities available to those who are uninsured or underinsured at Valley Oaks Health.
Support groups are regularly scheduled meetings led by mental health professionals focused on specific topics. These groups allow those struggling with certain mental health conditions or negative experiences to build community, find acceptance, and feel supported.
Support groups can focus on numerous topics including:
- Healing from psychological trauma
- Overcoming alcohol abuse
- Living with addiction
- Coping with depression or thoughts of suicide
Joining a support group can have many benefits including:
- Reduced feelings of loneliness, isolation, or shame
- Reduced stress, depression, or anxiety
- Opportunities to talk honestly about feelings and experiences
- Coping skills tailored to specific conditions
- Sense of empowerment, control, and hope
Members of a support group work together to change thinking patterns, better understand their condition or situation, and develop greater confidence in themselves while building community.