Relapse Prevention Therapy (RPT)
Providing you with simple and systematic tools to maintain your progress.
Understanding Relapse Prevention Therapy (RPT)
Relapse prevention therapy is a form of cognitive behavior therapy designed to help clients successfully maintain their sobriety after they’ve completed their addiction treatment. It’s designed to help them understand, anticipate, and manage their potential for relapse.
8 Focus Areas of RPT
If there’s one thing almost everyone who’s ever battled an addiction will tell you, it’s that overcoming it is usually an uphill battle. Getting clean and sober isn’t easy, but the real challenge is maintaining their newfound sobriety once rehab ends and they’re back in the real world. This is why RPT emphasizes coping skills training by helping clients:
- Understand how a relapse is a process rather than an isolated event that occurs in response to an apparent trigger or high-risk situation.
- Develop effective ways to cope with cravings and urges when they surface.
- Identify potential high-risk situations such as: relationship conflicts, social pressure to drink or use, and painful or unpleasant emotions such as frustration, sadness, or anger.
- Find attainable and effective ways to manage these situations.
- Learn to employ strategies to prevent a lapse from turning into a full-blown relapse.
- Learn how to minimize the negative consequences when a lapse occurs.
- Learn to make healthy lifestyle changes that support abstinence and recovery.
- Continue with their treatment following a relapse.
A Bright Future Starts at Valley Oaks
Walking through the doors of a center like Valley Oaks for the first can be tough. We work hard to make sure that your visit is easy, streamlined, and professional while still addressing your needs. The reality is that more folks are seeking help than you’d ever imagine, and for good reason. More than 80% of folks that seek help for common mental health ailments see significant improvement. Your journey to life’s peaks can start right now… and start right here… at Valley Oaks.